Welcome to "A Reflection...".

Welcome to "A Reflection in the Mirror". This is my place to share with you some of my reflections on life, politics, religion and just the general condition of life on this planet. During my lifetime I have learned a lot and, perhaps, forgotten as much. I have formed opinions, most from experience. Sometimes I will probably rant...better than kicking the cat! You may not always agree with me, which is fine. All I ask is that you treat this space, me and others with respect. I encourage discussion and different ideas, so, please make use of the chatter-box and comment section. Enjoy your visit and come back soon. You never know what you may find.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Reflection on Self Respect

 

"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."

  ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~

 

I find it amazing that people, in general, succumb to criticism by others.  I have always subscribed to the thought that, if what I say and do is based on my principles and my sense of right, I should not let the words of others make me feel guilty.

Too often those who may disagree with us or want to control us, condemn our thoughts, words and actions.  A few good examples would be: Politics, religion, preferences in music and literature, our manner of dress, the way we wear our hair and our personal preferences as regards life style.

I am and always have been an advocate of freedom of choice.  All of us should have the freedom to decide which direction our life travels will follow.  I resent someone else telling me that I am wrong because I have not made the same choices that they have.  If I choose to wear my hair short when society has decided that the fashion is long, so be it.  It is my choice.  If I choose not to be Christian when the bulk of society deems that to be “right”, I should not be ostracized.  If I choose to wear long skirts when society goes for minis, so what?

I was brought up to believe that, if I could look at myself in the mirror and not be ashamed and could respect the person staring back at me, then I was living with self respect.  No one else looks in our particular mirror, so no one else has the right to tell us the choices to make. 

Just a reflection…..

No comments:

Post a Comment