Welcome to "A Reflection...".

Welcome to "A Reflection in the Mirror". This is my place to share with you some of my reflections on life, politics, religion and just the general condition of life on this planet. During my lifetime I have learned a lot and, perhaps, forgotten as much. I have formed opinions, most from experience. Sometimes I will probably rant...better than kicking the cat! You may not always agree with me, which is fine. All I ask is that you treat this space, me and others with respect. I encourage discussion and different ideas, so, please make use of the chatter-box and comment section. Enjoy your visit and come back soon. You never know what you may find.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Reflection on the Fear of Making Mistakes

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one.
~Elbert Hubbard~

Have you failed to apply for a job because you think maybe you can’t do it?  Have you failed to run a race for fear you won’t finish?  Have you failed to try a new food because you’re afraid you won’t like it?

I’ve known people who were paralyzed in making decisions for fear it would be the “wrong” one.   I’ve known people who were afraid to ask for something or someone because they might hear the word “no”.

How many of us have missed opportunity when it has knocked at our door because we’ve been afraid to open that door and walk through, not knowing what was on the other side?

I have always believed that making a decision, even if it may turn out wrong, is better than not making a decision at all.  If I make a mistake, I analyze why so that it becomes a learning experience, not a failure.  I also know that, if we don’t ask, we’ll never receive anything, be it information, love, a job, a friend or whatever.  Better to ask and be told “no” than to go through life never knowing what the answer would have been.

To me it is more important to control one’s own life, to make one’s own choices, than to allow something called “fear” do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment